Wednesday, September 28, 2011

“I Do’s are done differently depending on the Do’ers”

Written by Decadent Details Events Assistant, Anna Hamilton

Different wedding traditions could possibly be the most intriguing topic you will ever come upon.  Researching different cultures and how they celebrate a marriage could leave you with thinking how you might want to take on a new tradition that could be inspired from Peru, India, Scotland, Korea, etc.… Note: I said, “might”. 


To the left, is a picture of a wedding tradition in Japan.  It is tradition for the bride to change three times throughout the day of her wedding.  She is expected to wear a white gown during her vows, just as we do in the U.S., though she must change right afterwards into a brighter color that symbolizes joy.  A purple kimono is preferred with a design that represents love. 




Here in the U.S., we don’t think anything is unusual about the bouquet toss and toasts to the bride and groom, but in other countries, such as in Scotland, it is not unheard of to wash the bride’s feet so it will send the couple off “on a fresh path together.” Source


***Sorry to all of you that can’t stand the thought of touching someone else’s feet!***


                                                                          Source
Some other wedding traditions include:

  • A Pakistani Bride wears red on the day of her wedding because red symbolizes happiness.



  • In Italy, the married couple shatters a vase or glass into many pieces and the number of pieces represents the expected number of years they'll be happily married.


  • In Islam, they paint the hands of the bride and groom with henna the night before the wedding, which represents a strong bond between the two.


  • In Hindu, the bride arrives at the ceremony wearing clothing from her parents; when the ceremony is over, she will dress in clothing her husband has provided. (Hope her groom has good taste!)  Source

So maybe you aren’t interested in changing the American tradition of a wedding and that is A-OK with me, but was I right when I mentioned this could possibly be the most fascinating topic ever?! I think YES! Who knew such neat wedding traditions went on around the world? Not I….and come on, admit it, I’m sure you had never heard of half of those traditions either. Personally, I think it would be fun to add a little international twist to my wedding. Hmmmm… wonder which tradition I will decide on—-at least I know I have plenty of time to ponder.





No comments:

Post a Comment